Labels

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Welcome to Cookin' Kitty! And Christmas cake balls.

Hi all! (or one) depending on how many have signed up to my oh so very new blog! I just thought I would start one, seeing as everyone and their mom already has one. Also, because I have many many recipes I have found, been given, and made myself that I would love to share. Plus, I think all of my Facebook friends are tired of me posting my pictures of my cooking/baking adventures on my wall and updates! So, here we are! i just thought since it being December, I would start with something simple, easy, and DELICIOUS! These are cake balls, I did the red and green for a Christmas theme, but you can do any color you choose, and any cake and frosting flavor you choose, I used a boxed cake (dark chocolate fudge) and canned frosting (rainbow party chip) because that's what I had in my pantry at the time my sugar craving hit. You can also make your own cake or frosting, anything works, but why fix something that's not broken, right? Right. I made about 32 cake balls with this recipe, and I wanted to eat all of them! So I sent them with Hubby (I kept 4) to work the next morning to share with his co-workers, and everyone loved them! I'm going to be making them as Christmas gift treats, along with a few other choice goodies for some friends and family, and they are sure to please. So here are the cake balls and the recipe, very very easy and fun to make! Enjoy!


Cake Balls

1 Box cake mix (any flavor)
1 can frosting (any flavor)
2-3 packages chocolate bark or candy melts for colors.
Small bowls to melt candy
Piping bags

Bake cake according to package directions. Let cool 25-30 mins.
Crumble cake into large bowl or stand mixer ( I used my mixer with the dough hook attachment)
Add about 3/4 of frosting can and stir until well incorporated, the frosting should completely blend with the cake.
Using a cookie scoop (or your hands) roll mixture into golf ball size (or smaller balls, to your liking) and place on cookie sheet fitted with wax paper.
Chill in the fridge for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or stick them in the freezer for 45 mins.
Melt your chocolate bark or candy melts(directions should be on package) in a bowl or 2 or 3 depending on how many colors you're using.
Drop a cake ball, one at a time and gently roll in chocolate, remove with a spoon, tapping gently on the side of the bowl to smooth the coating on the cake ball.
Gently place cake ball on sheet of wax paper and let firm. (should only take a few minutes)
If you would like to do a truffle/line design, take some of the bark or candy melts and place in a piping bag and microwave until melted in 30 second increments.
cut the tip off of the bag and pipe lines back and fourth (as shown in picture) and let harden.
The cake balls are ready to serve! Or you can refrigerate them for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Loved these tried them today (ate not baked) soooo yummy will definately add them to my favorites. Would be easy for school parties or work pot lucks!

    ReplyDelete