Labels

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Awesome Broccoli Cheddar Soup.

I love soup, I could eat it every day, (can't say the same for Hubby). I love all kinds of varieties, textures, and colors. Yesterday, I had a craving for a creamy comfort soup, so naturally, broccoli cheddar came to mind! I am so glad I made this it was so satisfying, warming, and delicious! Hubby liked it too, even though he's not much of a soup person. I read a lot of variations of this soup, and I just couldn't find one that I liked, so I decided to risk it and just make my own. I'm glad I did! The best part about this soup is, you can't mess it up, its good chunky, smooth, or in between, I opted for smooth with some chunks. It has a great cheddar flavor, but not overpowering, you can taste everything that's in the soup, and it's very easy
to make. So, make this soon, and  enjoy!



Ingredients:

7 Tbsp butter, divided.
1 cup, onion, or 2 leeks rinsed and chopped (I used leeks, cause I love em')
2-3 cloves garlic, minced.
2-3 carrots chopped.
4 cups broccoli florets chopped.
1 teaspoon fresh or dry chopped thyme leaves.
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/2 teaspoon pepper.
4 Tbsp flour.
Pinch of cayenne pepper.
Pinch of nutmeg
3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock.
1 cup heavy cream, or half and half ( I used heavy cream)
2 cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded.
Salt and pepper to taste.




Directions:

In a large pan, melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat.
Add the onion or leeks, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, thyme leaves and broccoli, saute for 3-4 more minutes.

While that's happening, in a large stockpot, over medium-high heat, melt the 4 remaining Tbsp butter, add the flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, and bring to boil. Add the vegetable mix, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until thickened, and broccoli is somewhat tender.

With an immersion blender, blend until desired consistency, or in a food processor, or regular blender, pulse until desired consistency,and return to pot.

Add the heavy cream or half and half, and simmer to heat through, add the cheddar cheese, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.

Cook over low heat until cheese has melted, remove from heat, serve immediately.
Enjoy the deliciousness.

1 comment:

  1. Looks Great Kat.. I have been wanting to make broccli cheddar soup for a while .. now I have to try urs LOL love u D

    ReplyDelete